Anyone who knows me well knows that I LOVE mug cakes. Sometimes my sister and I will follow a recipe for some cool new cake, other times we’ll just dump in some leftover cake mix, add some egg and water, and we’re done! This morning, however, it being Christmas Eve, I came up with a new idea to make our leftover-vanilla-cake-mix mug cake a little more Christmassy… with some candy canes I had left over from (nervous laughter) last year from my grade five/fours.
Candy Cane Mug Cake
- 6-7 tbsp vanilla cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 candy cane, chopped
- Optional: peppermint extract
- Divide your cake mix between two ramekins.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk it. Divide the egg between the two ramekins.
- Add water to both ramekins and stir. I always play this one by ear because the amount of water always seems to differ depending on what other ingredients I put into the ramekin as well. Add a drop or two of peppermint extract if you like as well.
- Chop the candy cane. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 of the candy between the two ramekins, stirred, and then popped the ramekins one at a time in the microwave. Cook for about a minute and a half.
- Sprinkle the leftover candy on the top of each treat. Give them a little time to melt. Enjoy your Christmas treat (with a book, if you’re like me)!